Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Kitchen Soldiers



***ing finally! So sorry that it has taken such a long time to post this.

I'm not very content with this picture (perhaps I subconsicously delayed my posting :/ ). I felt it was a fun concept with the child-play angle on the whole uniform theme, but the picture feels bare and lifeless to me, something I tried to rectify with a haphazard background (and see that conveniently placed cereal box in front of the boy's foot? Not an accident).

Anyway, sorry for keeping you waiting like this and delaying a new challenge. Moving along...

4 comments:

Nightflyer said...

It's really, really cute! ^^
(Never thought of the idea of drawing children... thats scary).

I like the uniforms you chose. =D

Well, it feels like the cereal box belongs there, so in the end it was a pretty good save.

I like it. =)

Nefandus said...

Drawing children is pretty fun, but goddaymn it's hard. There were lots of reading of Ichigo Mashimaro before I even attempted to start drawing this picture...

And yes, ye ol' random-item-in-the-foreground trick. Works like a charm :]

Yeonni said...

Hm, I'm wondering if the slight "bare and lifelessness" is because of the lack of interaction between the two? I had a dozen different positions in my head for this challenge but almost all of them felt just dead when I sketched them up. It's not like Mad's people have direct interaction either, but it's easier to somehow feel the connection between them.

Otherwise, yes, children are crazy hard to draw, and you did it very well. It has a bit of a doll-like feeling, maybe because of her eyes and clothes, that fits the mood.

And, um, what is that in the back of the corridor? A dog's bed? =P

Nefandus said...

Indeed, that is a dog's bed (the dog's name was Pagan). The kitchen and corridor is actually an attempt at replicating my home in Lindesberg, where I lived before moving to Karlstad.